Slips and falls remain as one of the top causes of unintentional injuries and deaths in the United States. According to studies, around 8.9 million visits to the emergency department have been recorded annually because of this. What does one need to know about slip and falls that can help them understand the seriousness of such injuries? How can one prevent such accidents from happening? And what one should do in case one gets involved in a slip and fall accident?
Slips and Falls by the Numbers
Here are some of the things that people don’t know much about slip and falls and how dangerous such accidents can be.
- According to research, over 300,000 injuries are recorded every year because of slip and fall accidents in the workplace.
- The US Department of Labor reveals that 15 percent of accidental deaths in the workplace are caused by slips, trips, and falls.
- Workplaces lose up to US$4 Billion worth of losses in productivity and compensations every year.
- More than one million people get injured while more than 16,000 die because of falls.
- 6 million elderly people get treated in emergency departments because of slip and fall accidents leading to the hospitalization of 353,000 of them.
- More than 60 percent of the people aged 75 and older die because of fall-related injuries.
- 20 to 30 percent of those who fell suffered moderate or severe injuries which include injuries hip fractures or trauma in the head which in turn increases the chances of premature death.
Where Does Slip and Fall Accidents Usually Happen?
Here are some of the places where slip and fall accidents happen:
- Unstable work surfaces
- Cluttered hallways
- Unguarded heights
- Areas with heavy traffic
- Areas prone to wetness or spills
How To Avoid Slip and Fall Accidents?
While accidents happen when one least expects it, there is something that you can do to prevent these from happening. Here are some tips that you can follow.
- Clean spills up at once, the moment one sees it
- Make sure to secure wires like telephone and electrical cords far from where most people walk on
- Never ever stand on a table, chair, or any other surface with wheels in it
- Throw away small rugs and use only non-skid design mats to prevent it from slipping.
- Always check walkways and steps’ condition and have it repaired immediately if there are damages seen.
- Take away paper, boxes, toys, clothes, or shoes from walkways and stairways that may cause tripping and slipping
- Make sure to check the condition of steps and walkways and perform repairs immediately if damages are seen.
What To Do If You Slipped and Fall?
Sometimes, no matter how one tries their best to stay away from accidents, they may still end up falling for one. Whenever one gets involved in a slip and fall accident, one should immediate seek medical attention to have themselves treated immediately to prevent injuries from getting worse. Finally, after getting enough pieces of evidence, you can file a personal injury claim against those negligent people that has caused the accident. Through the help of a personal injury attorney in California, you can ask for compensation as reparation for the damages. The victim may also ask for a reimbursement of medical expenses one has incurred to get treatment and medications for the injuries. Finally, the victim may recover from the defendant the lost earnings and future wages because of the temporary or permanent disability that the injury has caused him or her.
Getting injured or hurt because of a slip and fall accident is one such difficult phase to endure. However, one should not suffer the consequences of the accident alone as the negligent and irresponsible part that caused the accident must face their responsibilities to the victims.
For more information about slip and fall, you can visit this website: http://www.personalinjurydefenders.com/slip-and-fall-injury.html